Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Oral Traditions and Campfire Stories...

So, this ain't my first rodeo...meaning I have tried blogging before. About three years ago I was on MySpace, and tried the blog thing on that format. Needless to say, it didn't go well...

Fast forward to today, and now I'm all excited about blogging! Why, you may ask? Well, because I was inspired by two wonderful bloggers, who are my best friend and her sister!

Now, about my first entry...

It occurred to me that our culture is full of examples of oral tradition...telling stories, sharing funny past experiences with each other, and sound bites on TV are all examples of how we have never let go of our oral traditions. I can't count how many times my best friend and I have told, and retold stories. Do I already know what she's going to say? Of course I do! It's our brain umbilical cord that transcends time and space, but that's for another blog. Do I love hearing her tell, and retell, stories? Hell yeah! She has a fantastic way of weaving words, and saying things in her own voice. I could tell the story just as easily as she does, but my style is completely different from hers. And then there is the matter of our comedic timing....we riff off each other. It's bizarre...funny...and comforting all at the same time. And, depending on the listener, scary....just ask our husbands!

What I'm trying to get at is MY oral tradition. My friends and I share a history together that can only be captured when we get together and hash, and re-hash, our mutually shared experiences. Some are serious, some are funny, and some could get us misdemeanors in most states, but they all serve one purpose. These stories are an instant connection amongst people who may interact daily, or rarely see each other. It is that familiar connection that makes it easy to slip back into the rhythm of friendship....without missing a beat.

2 comments:

  1. I had a MySpace. Loved that thing, too. Had my music, my design, and I told some pretty good stories, too. Can't seem to make the plunge into a blog, though - seems fun and therapeutic, but I can't fit another thing on my to-do list!
    Aubrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. J, I love it. LOVE IT. And so true about you and my sister. You guys ARE scary. :)

    ReplyDelete